Safe & Effective Organic Beauty Products to Use During Pregnancy
Although I’ve never been pregnant I felt compelled to write this article because I know that day will eventually come soon. When I was a teen my main priorities were boys, friends, and partying. Health wasn’t exactly a concern, in fact, I wouldn’t even think twice about hitting up a McDonald’s drive-thru or lighting up a Marlboro. As you can imagine I cared even less about what kinds of chemicals were in my shampoo, makeup, and everyday personal care products. As I got older I started to pay attention to almost everything health related from air quality in my home to pesticide-free produce, and even what kinds of foods I was feeding my dog.
I’ve come a long way from being totally clueless and careless to being self aware and informed on my health and environment. Now the next phase of my life is approaching and having kids may be on the horizon. I have started to imagine what kinds of lifestyle changes would have to take place if I was to get pregnant. I think its safe to say that being pregnant would introduce a whole new level of self-awareness and maybe a little health paranoia (because that’s just my personality). So I asked myself what kinds of products should I use to ensure the baby is 100% healthy? Although I try to use natural products as it is, I’ll admit, I cut corners on some things and make excuses for others. So I’ve compiled future shopping list for myself when I get pregnant because at that point there will be no room for excuses because it’s won’t just be about me anymore. The following are some products that are deemed safe for pregnant women to use and are of course are encouraged to use even if you not carrying a bun in the oven.
- Stretch Mark Creams- The Spoiled Mama Maternity skin care line has a product called “Tummy Butter” and although a bit pricey I completely trust that it’s well worth it. I read almost every review and countless women claim of not one stretch mark developing during pregnancy. Its made with pure cocoa butter, organic Rosehip oil, organic Tamanu, and Kukui Nut oils which contain Vitamin A and E, and high amounts of essential fatty acids. It is also recommended to use with “Bump Gloss” for maximum protection against those tiger stripes!
- Body Wash- Nature’s Basin has a great product that apparently has a fresh scent of sage and Canadian fir needles. The best part though is it does not contain synthetic preservatives, GMO’s, petrochemicals, and bonus they’re packaged in creative, seed-embedded boxes that can be planted to grow sweet basil!
- Deodorant- I’ve heard of many moms’ switching to the natural deodorant brand Tom’s but having no success with cutting the stink! After browsing mommy forums what seems to work the best is crystal stone deodorant, which is basically made from minerals and salts that occur in nature. In theory, the thin layer of salt applied to your skin can prevent the growth of bacteria, and thus control odor. The crystal low cost and can last for months. On the Environmental Working Group Skin Deep Cosmetic Database it has a ZERO hazard rating.
- Hamadi Natural Conditioner- For an all organic hair conditioner Hamadi’s which is made without lauramide DEA, a harsh ingredient in conventional products that can strip away important amino acids and other proteins, leaving hair dry and hard to manage. Rice milk proteins fortify the hair shaft, while shea butter nourishes and smoothes. An organic essential oil blend including clary sage and ylang ylang stimulates the scalp to encourage healthy, lustrous hair.
- Makeup- 100% Pure makeup line is a great one due to the fact the all of their cosmetics are colored from antioxidant rich fruit and vegetable pigments. All the antioxidants and vitamins in fruits are in the actual color, so you will be applying all the healthy nutrients of the fruits directly on your skin! Their products have been featured on the DR.OZ show, Women’s Health Magazine, ABC News, Cosmo, Elle, Pregnancy, In style and MANY more! They also do not test on animals. Check out some of their eye shadows here!
Reasons to JOIN US include:
- It's absolutely FREE!
- Get Green Tips You MUST know about.
- How to's on going green, saving money, and having fun.
- Keep up-to-date on our posts in cased you missed them.