Electric Bicycles – Eco Transportation
I wanted people to know that I am on a mission to boycott driving my nice Honda Civc Hybrid. Even though I am driving a hybrid, the price of oil on the market and the rising cost of gasoline has forced me to boycott the oil companies. I have been experimenting the best way to get to my work in an eco friendly way, which is 7 miles away. It is not that far, so I tried an old electric scooter I had which only got me about half way to work. I had to call my co-worker to come pick me up. Then I thought about riding my bike, but I need to buy a city cruiser bike because my mountain bike which is not suitable for city bicycling.
But a recent eco-tip had opened my eyes to an electric bicycle. I guess in the back of my head I always knew they existed, but I have never really seen anyone or heard about anyone ever using one. So, I challenge all my readers to think long and hard about how close you live to work, and the viability of using one of these electric bicycles instead of driving. These are the stats for this innovative mode of transportation:
- In California, PG&E’s baseline Rate per kilowatt is $.1156. At baseline, CA PG&E prices they can charge fully for only $0.18.
- That’s like paying less than a penny a mile!
- Compare them to a car getting 20mpg, with gas costing $4.50 in CA, which costs ~$0.22 a mile.
- Comparing the electric bikes to that they get the equivalent of 440MPG!
- Max Speed: 18.8 mph
- Range: 17.6 Miles w/ light pedalingObviously you would have to compare the prices of your own local energy provider to find out how much money you would actually be saving. But no matter how much your energy costs are, this mode of eco transportation would be cheaper than driving a car for sure.
I am placing my order after the completion of this blog. I seriously don’t understand why more people aren’t using this as a primary mode of transportation, especially if you live in a downtown area like I do.
Thoughts, Comments, Questions…
Reasons to JOIN US include:
- It's absolutely FREE!
- Get Green Tips You MUST know about.
- How to's on going green, saving money, and having fun.
- Keep up-to-date on our posts in cased you missed them.