End of the Wild
There is a new study out published in Science Magazine about how man has effectively altered most of the environment. The study touches up on the notion that I have written about before about the new documentary out called “Manufactured Landscape“. The end conclusion of an environmental makeover can result in a multitude of problems including vulnerability to natural disasters, species extinction, and disease transmission.
The study is called “Domesticated Nature: Shaping Landscapes and Ecosystems for Human Welfare,” was conducted by scientists from the Nature Conservancy, Santa Clara University, and Harvard University. The study basically says that we have already domesticated all wildlife on Earth. In other words, we have attained a point where we are at the end of the wild. Here are some facts and figures:
- There’s nearly six times as much water held in storage (e.g., behind dams) as there is in free-flowing rivers.
- About 50 percent of the world’s surface area has been converted to grazing land or cultivated crops.
- And only 17 percent of the world’s land area in 1995 was untouched by the direct influence of humans (such as agriculture, roads or even nighttime lights
This comes at a time when the human race really needs to evaluate their lifestyles and demand a “greener” world. We can all be green and save money while doing it. There are plenty of ways to help and the easiest way is to conservation…conserve your use of products, water, and energy. These things can go a long way to helping out the planet whether you believe it does or not…it really does help.
Reasons to JOIN US include:
- It's absolutely FREE!
- Get Green Tips You MUST know about.
- How to's on going green, saving money, and having fun.
- Keep up-to-date on our posts in cased you missed them.